Wednesday, April 10, 2013

Karen symbol

One symbol of the Karen is their flag. The rising sun symbolizes that the Karen nation will always shine to the world with brightness and success. The nine beams of the sun symbolize the nine different areas in Burma where Karen people mostly live. In the middle of the nine beams of light, there is a Karen drum, frogs, and two buffalo horns.The top red stripe symbolizes the courage shared by all the Karen people.The middle white stripe represents purity, simplicity, and kindness. Then the bottom blue stripe represents loyalty and honesty.

1 comment:

  1. Hello. I know you posted about the Karen flag a long time ago, but your blog post is the first opportunity I can find to maybe learn something. Also, I am a little happy that the post is older, because maybe it will help me learn something.

    That is, most of the Karen flags I see now show the red, white, and blue in equal measure. I have gotten the impression from other websites and now from your blog that this has not always been the case. I even wonder if the stripes of the Karen flag were even red, white and blue upon its original adoption! This makes me consider—and for me it is not the happiest of considerations—there has been a U.S. influence on the current Karen flag. It is not difficult for me to appreciate the pride and independence of the Karen people when I consider the flag as you blog it, but when I see the red, white, and blue in equal measure as one would see the stripes on the U.S. flag in equal measure, then I become suspicious. I'm sorry…

    So, my questions for you are, I suppose, what can you tell me about the history of the Karen flag and has it in fact morphed from what you show here into a flag with stripes of equal measure.

    (Of course, the stripes on the U.S. flag are red and white, but the U.S. flag itself is referred to as the "red, white, and blue," and it is this that feeds my suspicion, along with my considerable distaste for U.S. imperialism.)

    I don't know if you're still out there, but if you are and can help me understand more about the flag of the Karen nation, I will consider it a blessing!

    Be well,
    Richard

    ReplyDelete